Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Difference From Hand Made Furniture and Big Box Furniture!

I make a lot of different furniture.  I only use reclaimed wood and still use primitive tools.  I inspect every board to make sure it looks like I want it to.  I drill pilot and countersink holes by hand and I even still hand carve tendens for log furniture with a knife.  There is no wrong way to make furniture as long as its safe, sturdy, and level.  Everyone has their own taste in the furniture that they like, just like they pick and choose the music they want to listen to by what they like and fits their personality.

In my opinion, there are two types of furniture.  Disposible and Non Disposible.  You get what you pay for with anything you buy.  It is your hard earned dollar, so spend it as you will.  I have recently made random furniture like patio tables, log benches, floating shelves, etc...and posted them on Craigslist to sell and spark peoples imagination to call me for custom builds.  I just had a lady today, email me with a picture of a slab table from a big box store and ask me what I would charge to make it.  She did not understand why hand making the table she sent me the picture of was so expensive compared to the tables that I had posted on Craigslist.  The table she sent me a picture of, was about a $1500 big box store table.  It was quality and very nice looking, but imposible for a grass roots person to make for the price of the big box store. 

When one is grass roots and not a big chain, you don't have the buying power to order already milled lumber that can easily be asembled by anyone who can fog a mirror.  Most people don't have industial wood working tools in their shop or garage and don't buy bulk wood from a wholesaler.  Us little guys have to get free wood when we can and go to Home Depot to get the rest and it cost more.  We also have to put more time and our heart in making furniure to make sure the boards are planed flush to eachother and use more basic or primitive tools. 

For example:  If you looked at solid wood table at a big box store for $1500.  It would probably cost you $2000 plus to have it custom made.  It is more money, however, each builder puts his or her own style with their building and you piece will be one of a kind.  It will be backed by the artisin who made it because they want to keep a reputation of quality furniture and want their customers to enjoy their pieces for generations sparking conversation in homes and businesses.  I work 10 to 12 hours a day to meet deadlines and ensure my furniture is going to meet or exceed my customers expectations and sometimes don't even brake even for my time and materials, because I enjoy the expressions my customers show when they see what I have made for them.  Also, lots of people are on tight budgets and can't afford nice furniture, so I will make it anyway with the budget they have.  It is a way to meet incredible people, get referals, and get satisfaction that something I have made will be enjoyed for years and years!



If you want a piece of custom furniture made by a grass roots artisin or art work or jewelry, etc...and are on a budget, that is fine, but don't low ball anyone who makes any kind of hand craft.  It is in insult to me and them for their expertise and the heart and sould that we all put into our work.  Work on not being lazy and driving to the big box stores!!!  Take the time to find a local artisin and have some patience for them to make what you want over a week or two.  Give them a small deposit so they can get any supplies needed and don't end up spending their own money on your project that may or may not get picked up.  A deposit will ensure a more timely delivery and gives each artisin motivation to spend extra time on your project!  An artisin will often offer discounts on future projects or pieces if you give them repeat business, so support the local little guy and the world goes round and round. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s amazing to have your blog! I really loved it, it’s expressimg your ideas and inspiring me so much regarding ideas of furniture.Thanks for sharing.
    Home Furniture India

    ReplyDelete