Monday, November 28, 2011

Old Wood Ironing Board Wine Rack

I swear I staired at this old wooden ironing board for two hours straight after I bought it, trying to figure out what I was gonna do with it.  Do I just sell it and try to make a few bucks?  Do I sand it down and stain it, then sell it to make a few more bucks?  Do I take the legs off and use the top as a shelf?  Do I paint it a country theme and put a hook on it to hang on the wall?  Do I make it into a plant holder?  Etc...  The whole time I was thinking about what to do with this thing, I was finishing off a bottle of Sake that was already 3/4 gone and set the empty bottle on the cross section of the legs and went to bed.  The next morning I woke up and went out into the garage to work and saw I forgot the Sake bottle on the ironing board and just laughed, because using it as a wine rack and decor shelf made perfect sense.  The next challenge was how to do it...I did not want to use to much material and take away the old look, but needed to have strong and stable bottle supports of some kind. I stared at it for another hour and gave up.  After working on a shelf with some barnwood boards for a while, I accidently leaned a cut piece on the front leg of the ironing board.  When I was cleaning up, a light bulb went off when I saw the board leaning.  "if I just add some 2" x 5" board pieces that the bottles can rest on...It will work and not take away the look of the ironing board.  I know this is not a glammerous piece of furniture, but it is just comical how an idea comes to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment